Monday, 16 January 2012

No models! Sadface...

Yet to have my miniatures arrive but I have now also ordered a Seraph. I know in my last post I decided to hold off on it for now but I saw one going really cheap and as I will discuss after have had some better success with him in a more recent game.

One of my regular opponents on Vassal and myself played a game yesterday, with my angelius changed list. He was also running legion, pVayl with pot, 2 Ravagores, bolt thrower Neph and a few other pieces. My undoing was, as I expected the ravagores and Vayl's ability to keep them out of melee, something my list lacks is shooting. This brings me to my main challenge so far, other than generally playing my army properly I have found that with pLyly I have found I have a great deal more problems against shooty armies than balanced or melee heavy ones. I'm not sure if this is due to my play-style or if pLyly isn't suited to that kind of match-up. I spoke with my opponent afterwards and he couldn't really offer any advice on how I could have PLAYED better, this isn't to say my list couldn't be better. I'm still fine tuning my models at the moment and with each win or loss I look at what models did and did not perform for me and why they did or didn't.

This brings me to my second game against the same opponent and why I chose to order a Seraph and put it back in my lists. I tried something a bit different this time. I took :
pLyly
Typhon
Seraph
Shredder
Full Hex hunters
Bayal UA
Striders
Sherpherd
Bellows crew

I have always liked the model for Typhon and so decided to give him a shot, my opponent recommended I try out the Seraph again as it is good with pLyl and Typhon so I agreed to do so. This was my first 35 point game with Legion of Everblight so far and I was a bit out of my comfort zone with all these models to manage. The game went decidedly better than our last however, in my opinion this was mainly due to him taking Kallus and an infantry heavy melee list, something he has less practice with as he usually runs shooty pVayl or eLyl lists. 2xSwordsmen, Proteus, full Legionnaires, spawn pot, striders and Kallus were the meat of the list.

Game summary:
My 1st - I went first and ran my advance deployment Hex Hunters up far enough that I was a threat to him but not so far that he could charge me with much. Striders did the same and everything else just ran up behind. I used slipstream for the first time (cheer) and put Lyly a couple of inches further up the field.

His 1st - He engaged me with striders and ran Legionnaires up, in an attempt to tie up as much of my force as possible. Other things simply positioned further up and Kallus feated. First turn feats can be iffy in my opinion but this left me in a difficult position. Run away and lose the initiative, run towards (without attacking) and lose out on potential damage or just kill as much as possible.

My 2nd - I opted for option three and tried to cause as much damage as possible. My reasoning for this was that with Kallus's dark guidance he would probably not struggle to hit my infantry models and not charging wouldn't really hurt his ability to kill low arm 1 wound infantry. Lyly popped off a couple shots downing some guys and so did my striders. Now this is where I went dead wrong, I meant to fear with lyly, and cause carnage with hex hunters and sprays but there were two obstacles to this. Firstly, I forgot to feat! Oh the shame! Secondly, I didn't realise his feat would prevent my battle wizard triggering (models were removed from play). My hex hunters charged in and rolled poorly, partly due to my lack of feating! I killed some of his guys and incubi but his swordsmen were fine and despite a valiant effort from typhon (including my second use of slipstream to get him into better range) not as much died as I would have liked. I popped Typhon's animus to hopefuly prevent him dying and remain a mid field threat. As his turn rolled around I was very nervous.

His 2nd - Hex hunters got wasted, 2 of my striders were engaged and his pot spawned a stinger which rolled (luckily) only just above average dice and left Lyly on just 3 hit points! Proteus moved up and generally I was left with 4 striders, a pair of Hex hunters and my beasts.

My 3rd - At this state I had to take a frenzy on Typhon, which I failed (needed an 8 or less to pass, it happens I guess). Anyway, at that point we called it a GG as it was late. However I was not satisfied, I realised, as did he that he had left Kallus open and exposed. So I saved the game and tried to see if I could kill him just for the challenge. I was glad at this point that I still had my feat. A lone Hex hunter charged the Incubi engaging my shredder which killed the Stringer. Then pLyly activated, feated, shot Kallus twice leaving him parasited and half dead. Seraph then slipstreamed typhon out of melee with 2 incubi and shot 2 shots at Kallus killing him. I realised at this stage that I had given up too early as even without Typhon I had managed to kill Kallus.

This right here was where I decided I needed to learn to use the Seraph. It had been useful all game, getting models into better positions and if I had needed it, a third beast to slap triple sprays on Kallus. All round he had more than earned his keep. I found Typhon to be fantastic as well and will certainly consider him as my next purchase once my Seraph arrives.

Good times were had by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment